- noun Abbreviation for 'Multi-User Dungeon', a CAT
(although 'Dungeon' was actually the name of an implementation
of 'Zork' around at the time the first MUD was written). MUD is
the name of a series of programs dating from 1978 which share a
common scenario, were conceived as an adventure game to allow
more than one player, and were successfully designed as such.
- noun A particular version of MUD, usually apparent
from the context. Normally, it will mean MUD1 (MUD version 3)
or MUD2 (MUD version 4).
- noun A particular incarnation of MUD,
most probably Essex MUD.
- noun The scenario used by MUD, ie. The Land.
- noun the game. "I feel like some action. See you in
- noun The category of computer games of which MUD is a
paradigm. This is what MUAs are called on Internet, although
the term is often written in lower case there. See MU*, M*.
- verb/0 To play MUD. "I'm going MUDding now".
- adjective Of or relating to MUD. "She's a MUD addict
if you ask me".